Monday, October 12, 2009

Fundamentalists

One of my favorite quotes is from Dan Kimball's book It states: 'Christian fundamentalists seem to use the Bible like a weapon, quoting verses out of context like bullets to shoot anything or anyone they don't like' -Penny. Growing up, I was always told why certain things were wrong (i.e. He-man, Rock music, wearing shorts, etc.) because it went against our 'Testimony.' They would try to back it up with scriptures out of context such as Col. 3:23-24 (KJV mind you): "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" or I Cor. 6:19: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" As a child, I took the 'adults' word for it and believed it because they told me to. As I've gotten older, I started to question this methodology. First of all, when was this 'evil way' they're attacking revealed to them? You'll find that many times, they're cloning ideas from past dignitary pastors that didn't like change to begin with. You know who I'm refering to. The nay sayers who would attack anything that went against their comfort zone and revealed a new mindset. Second, I do believe in having a good testimony but who are you trying to uphold your testimony to? I've found that many christians today do not like somehting that's 'new' or a different way of thinking so they sweep it under a rug of scripture and justify it by saying "it's not my idea, God said it!" Well, I'm sick and tired of it. Just because you may not like a particular method doesn't mean God's against it. In fact, if you recall, the Pharisees were against Christ due to his 'new methods.' So, going forward, I will be bucking the traditional system. If I feel lead to do something and a 'fundamentalist' attacks me with a scripture out of context, I'm going to question them. Tell me exactly why they feel I'm "backsliding." If they answer me with one of the cliches, I'm going to still question them until they can give me an answer of originality.

No comments: