Sunday, June 13, 2010

Another blog against fundamentalism

It never ceases to amaze me how so many churches today, especially the ones deeply rooted in fundamentalism, refuses to acknowledge that we are living in the 21st century. They hold tightly to methods and music that worked 30 years ago believing it will still draw the crowds it brought in that long ago. It’s comical that the churches I grew up in once labeled ‘praise & worship’ music as heretical but now refuses to let go of songs like “Awesome God”, “Lord I Lift Your Name On High”, and “Open the Eyes of my Heart”. I also find it sad that they are just discovering methods that were once prevalent (and relevant) during the late 80’s & early 90’s. For instance, when I was a teenager, I was a part of a church that was completely against the ‘Hell House’ production the Southern Baptist churches were producing. They felt the methods were ‘conforming’ to the world, though I feel that secretly, they just hated the Southern Baptists because they were too germane. Well, after the HH generation decided to let it go due to it’s lack of relevance, the same church that openly defied it, now has a Hell House every Halloween. The funniest part is they feel it’s a brand new thing! I’m not against that church, although I can’t stand to be anywhere near it, nor do I have a problem with Hell House. I just feel that so many believers fail to see that our culture changes. If you don’t agree with me, look at the churches today that are making a difference in comparison to the ones that stuck in the 80’s & 90’s. The obvious observation is the attendance. Don’t give me that BS that attendance doesn’t matter because the truth of the matter is, our goal is to increase the ‘attendance’ of believers in God’s kingdom. I’m done typing right now but I’m going to have more to say later.

No comments: